Tuesday, July 5, 2011

I LOVE COLOMBIA

I love the people, I love the food, I love the weather, I love the spontaneity, I love the guys, I love the fruit, I love the ocean, I love Colombia.

Really though everything is better here.

It was a actually a little bit rough at first because, well, we were a bit stranded.

We couldn't get the key to the apartment we are now staying, so we were driving around, crammed into a tiny taxi with all of our luggage piled on top of us. It was crazy, but hey, its all part of the adventure! We actually ended up staying in a hotel in the beautiful old city, which I really wanted to do anyways... so its all good ;)
the old city buildings are so colorful! I love it.
Yesterday, after wandering around the old city in Cartagena, we saw La Popa monastery, the highest point of the city, and the giant fort in the middle of the city called The Castillo de San Felipe. Even though we were BOILING in the humid heat here, we saw a toucan, held a really cute sloth (perezosa), saw some truly incredible views from La Popa and the Castillo, made a wish in front of the Virgin Mary's 32 karat gold alter (seriously blinged out), climbed through the pitch-black tunnels of the Castillo, went swimming on a rooftop, ate a mango as big as my face from a street vendor, ordered some yuca thing and arepas con huevos from the taxi window, went dancing in the hot rain, had a shower party, tried to go night swimming in the rain but had to abort the mission after I got 15 bug bites in a span of 5 minutes (I'm not exaggerating... I even got one on my face), partied with some awesome Colombians.
Street food!
View from La Popa
El Castillo de San Felipe
I love this country and I cannot wait for the adventures we will be going on the next 9 days. I probably wont give such detailed posts from now on, but I'm just so excited.